Thursday, February 21, 2013

Meet Skip!



I've been working with Skip, a seven year old Rat Terrier mix, since last Sunday. Not long, but he's shown real improvement in a few short sessions. When I first met him at Austin Pets Alive! he had the reputation of being very reactive around other dogs. There was no prior history for him. The sign on his kennel door reads "No Dogs/Cats/Kids" and once I got him out, a volunteer ran up to me with the warning, "He'll eat a Pit Bull!"

I was slightly amused. This tiny, Terrier sweetheart couldn't possible be that notorious!

He immediately pulled on the leash at other dogs, but we quickly moved away from the kennels and we walked to the front of the property where all was quiet. After a bit of potty business, we promptly went in for his first TTouch session. I massaged him for an hour and we worked on obstacles. He absolutely had no reaction to any of the other dogs attending, except when he was on the sofa and a Pitty came in suddenly. He pulled but there was no growling or strong attempt to lunge at her. She may have looked like dinner, but he didn't bite!

A couple days later, I worked with him again and took him on a long walk. Again, he pulled on the leash at passing dogs on the trail and growled at a few male joggers. When he was in my arms, he was a saint. When he was being massage, he was lost in a reverie...this little anxious pup really needs a lot of loving. When I put him back in his kennel, he propped his front legs up on my knees and just stared at me. We locked visual contact and I sent him a picture of me returning the next day.

This morning he was better with being reactive to joggers. It's my goal for him to just pass by dogs and guys without a second glance. I'm going to send him some communication of that nature over the next couple of days and see how he does either Friday night or Saturday. I'm not giving up on this cutie pie, who is just waiting for someone to love and have faith in him!


No comments:

Post a Comment