Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"Getting in TTouch with Your Dog" by Linda Tellington-Jones



I was introduced to TTouch through my volunteer activities with the nation’s largest no-kill shelter, Austin Pets Alive! (APA). They offer a fortnightly class in a type of animal bodywork called TTouch to people keen on giving shelter animals extra care and attention whilst waiting to be adopted.

Each dog that I took into class was adopted soon after…and these were in some cases, shy and fearful animals. TTouch gave me the skills to help calm and give confidence to animals that essentially have no one special person who cares for them. They have been abandoned, sometimes abused, and are in a cold, lonely kennel for most of their time. Taking them out for TTouch massage is an amazing benefit and I wish every shelter animal could receive daily sessions.

Shortly after joining APA, I took the book out of the library to get an idea of what I’d be learning. As a massage therapist, the moves were clear to me, but it’s not until I got one-on-one, in person “on dog” training that it began to sink it how powerful these gentle touches are.

I started practicing on friend’s animals and any dog I happened to be walking at APA.  Along with the touches, the modality involves taking the animals through a confidence course (like labyrinths, jumping poles, and walking on unusual surfaces). I recall bringing in a terribly timid puppy into class. She was so fearful, she would barely walk on her leash. After 30 minutes of massage and running through the confidence course with me, this puppy was wagging her tail and obviously digging life! (she was adopted the next day).

I recommend this book but more than that, I recommend volunteering at your local shelter to help bring some happiness into the lives of animals in need of a gentle touch and encouraging words.

No comments:

Post a Comment